Friday, September 27, 2013

A little cheating never hurt anyone...

except in marriage, school, competitive sports, ok cheating usually hurts everyone.  However I'm talking cheating in canning applesauce and tomatoes.  Did you know you can just freeze them?!? It's amazing and easy and all fear of botchalism is removed.  That's a good day in my book!  For the applesauce just wait til it's cool and then pack it into a freezer bag. Tomatoes can be put in whole.  Once you pull them out rinse them and the peel will come right off. I made tomato sauce last night by pureeing  frozen tomatoes, onion, basil and parsley.  Once on the stove I added greek yogurt, garlic, paprika, and sharp cheddar, so good!  Happy Freezing!

1 comment:

  1. In the past it wasn't recommended to freeze tomatoes. So after I came home the other day I looked it up. Yes you can freeze whole tomatoes! Just rinse, dry, remove stem scar and core. I'm trying to get as many as I can right now. No fear of botulism. And you can also just slice apples, sprinkle with lemon juice to preserve color and freeze. Use for baking or for sauce later.

    ReplyDelete